10 February, 2011

Shilo / Neil Diamond



Shilo, when I was young
I used to call your name
When no one else would come,
Shilo, you always came
And we'd play
-----

Shilo, written and performed by Neil Diamond, 1967-1968

Imaginary friends. Shilo was always there for the man in this song, always a thought away. No one could take Shilo from him, not even the narrator of the song. I hear this song as though Shilo was a dog, a family pet that was always there to play. The dog never yelled, it never spoke harshly, and it never expected more than a bowl of food and a stick flying in the air. A human friend with the mind of a dog. Truthfully, it is more of a cat as my family did not have dogs growing up.

This is the original recording of the song, I believe, not the rerecording. I prefer this version because it feels more introspective and Diamond's voice seems more emotional.

No comments:

Post a Comment